Sunday, July 19, 2009

Citizenship

I want to start by saying I do not have all the facts here, but hope to express impressions related. Sound like a Republican, eh? ;-)

I am a member of the Cape Fear Atheists and Agnostics. We have some activist members, and some like me who enjoy hanging out with people where the thrice-buggered Nazarene will not raise his fanged head. Last night we had a meet-up at a bar & grill. Mostly talking. A new member is from Palestine, and here is the weird part.

He is roughly 35 years-old, gained his US citizenship nine years ago, but was never a citizen of Palestine. Apparently, no one is. Granting citizenship would imply sovereignty which Israel is not interested in offering.

Now, I do not wish to get into the who Israel/Palestine milieu. What struck me was how I am an Atheist mostly from common sense, and partly because of the evils of religion. His intelligence is likely the major factor in becoming an Atheist, but add to that the ridiculous fighting over some piece of shit ground that you could not give away, because of three religions with similar backgrounds and all too similar absurdity.

Ugh. I don't even know what I want to say...

Fuck religion. How's that?

7 comments:

  1. jesus was thrice buggered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ugh. I don't even know what I want to say... "

    Uh, guess the atheism has fogged your brain...either that or the drugs...or the senility...or the late hour. Inquiring minds want to know.

    Just giving you shit, don't you see. Some bloggers say whatever comes to mind in the moment. Others labor for days to get it "right." I suspect that you're in the first category, and I know that I'm in the second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Snowbrush. I had totally forgotten this post.

    Unfortunately, I don't get angry about anything important. Partly because I am a fatalist who does not believe his little ideas will ever mean anything. Maybe if I write everything I say in red... ;-)

    I'll have to get another post on this blog soon, I just have not been feeling controversial of late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I thought it was funny. Your in South Africa eh? Lovely place. It would be nice to have a group of like-minded fellows here but I'm in christian conservative central, and like a wise european man said centuries ago, he who hid well, lived well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Simon - sorry I somehow missed your comment. Thanks for stopping by, and I agree ;-D

    @anon - I'm in North America. I'm around the US Army all the time, and in the American South, so there is a lot of jEsus here. Seems like everyone I work with is a deacon or some such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete