Monday, January 19, 2009

Atheism as Crusade?

I do not really read books or magazine articles on Atheism. I don't really follow blogs or other news. I also do not try to convert others. I don't think I am much of an Atheist Crusader.

I ignore most writings on the subject because, frankly, they are written for the non-Atheist in hopes of making her into one. This, I do not need. I don't need an explanation on why I should be or am an Atheist, it just makes sense to me. The main exceptions are the Marquis de Sade, who I do read, and Christopher Hitchens, who I occasionally follow. Both have more to offer than talking points.

As far as conversion goes; is it really a good idea to do away with religion? The majority of people obviously need it. The need for religion by the masses is as plain as its fallacy, in my mind.

One reason is that people, by and large, and not all that smart. They do not want an obscure answer to why x is when it is easy enough to believe their deity made it so. Stephen Colbert made the best point-via-joke about this; Occam's Razor proves creationism, as the simplest answer is typically the correct one, and what is more simple than a deity saying "make it so?"

Second, man is a cruel beast. We are little better than the animals we subjugate. The difference is that animals do not have some invisible bogey-man to tell them how to behave. It is a tool of civilization, and a necessary one. The depravity of Sade's libertines show the extents of man's capacity for "evil" and often make a case against him. If there were no great father in the sky wagging his finger at man, who knows how we would have turned out?

The problem for me with religion is the problem for believers; when religion starts to impose itself on you, regardless of your beliefs, you often have little recourse. Religion and the state are always tied together. Either the ruler declares divine right for his rule, or the elected official must placate the unwashed masses by displaying a similar zeal to theirs. In America, we often see going against religion (christianity) as going against the deity, so few question faith based rulings, and few are drawn to Atheism.

So, ultimately, I agree with anyone shouting "keep your rosaries off my ovaries," and other such slogans. I'll support any Atheist who makes any sense, but I do not proselytize. I feel religion is a necessary "evil," but would prefer they keep it to themselves. I would never argue with someone over their faith (partly because they love that), but frankly lose a little respect for anyone intelligent whom I find is backwards enough to fall for such crap.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know there is at least one atheist out there abiding by the creed "live and let live". A far cry from the atheist activists out there who try to convert people to atheism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out your site a bit when I get some time.

    Frankly, I don't like crusaders of any bent. I am a vegetarian (mostly. darn sushi is sooooo delicious), and am for animal rights, but why foist my beliefs on others? I'd be no better than the guys knocking on your door to talk to you about jesus.

    Having a wife with an undefined (at least to me) pagan belief system probably helps. Then again, I am shy and lazy :-)

    ReplyDelete